We thank you and congratulate you for choosing SprutCAM, our very powerful CAM system. This new generation system works directly with the imported CAD data of the initial model (including NURBS-representation) without any preliminary approximation or triangulation, and automatically calculates and develops a very efficient toolpath for machining the model, which can be graphically simulated to allow the user to see any potential problems with the type of machining parameters chosen. After the acceptance of this toolpath by the user, SprutCAM will generates an NC program using one of its extensive list of Posts. The system also allows users to develop Posts to their own specific requirements.
The model can be of various complexity whether two or three dimensional, and SprutCAM can generate a program for lathes, 2-axis, 2.5-axis, 3-axis and 4 or 5 axis milling machines, as well as allowing 4-axis and 5-axis machining for the turn-milling centers and for 2-axis, 2-axis with taper and full 4-axis EDM also. A vast choice of machining methods and strategies is available, and the level of accuracy can be set by the user. All this can run on any standard PC without requiring excessive power.
The most important features of the system can be highlighted as follows:
- Ease of Use – The system is very easy to use and is logically well organized into four main modes of working which can easily be selected from the main window by clicking on the relevant tab: 3Dmodel (import and preparation of geometric model); 2D Geometry (for 2D drawing); Machining (to generate machining processes); and Simulation (a photorealistic view of all machining, including tool and stock).
- Import of Many Formats – Advanced ability to import and transform 2D and 3D geometric models prepared in any CAD system, and then transferred into SprutCAM via IGES, DXF, STL, VRML, PostScript, STEP, 3DM, or SGM file format. Within SprutCAM the model can be transformed in many ways (scaled, rotated, transposed etc.), and any or all parts constituting it can be machined in any desired sequence, while gaps and overlaps between these parts are properly processed.
- 2D Drafting – The built-in 2D parametric drafting tools allows the creation of objects in any plane, and these can be referenced to the coordinates of the 3D model. In addition, the 3D model can be projected onto a plane. Patterns and text for engraving or pocketing can also be created within the system. All these objects can be used to define the part, fixtures, workpiece or job assignment of a cycle.
- Very Sophisticated Machining cycles – The machining process can be set up very easily and is made up of a sequence of operations which are chosen by the user from a long list available; i.e. roughing, finishing, rest milling, hole drilling, engraving etc. Within each operation the user chooses the parameters that should be applied; i.e. waterline, plunge or drive cutting modes, depth of cut, step-over distance, scallop height, cutting tool type and dimensions, cutting speeds, conventional or climb cutting etc. Any of these parameters can be revisited and modified without upsetting the whole operation, and if so desired the system can set these parameters by default. The resulting machine process is very accurate and efficient with minimum loss of time, as all unnecessary tool movements can be eliminated. It is suitable for both traditional as well as high speed cutting of any material.
- Actual workpiece state considering – The first machining cycle uses the start workpiece,to generate the toolpath. After that the workpiece form is updated. So the next cycle uses the updated workpiece to generate its own toolpath.
- Photo-realistic simulation with collision detection – The user can see exactly how the part is going to be machined either in a step by step mode or variable speed continuous mode as if a video tape is being played back. He can choose the color of the various tools used, the stock material and the intended final shape, for better understanding of the operation. Should it be desirable to change any part or parameter of the cycle it is easy to go back to the machining operation and modify it, and then return to the simulation. Toolpaths followed by each tool can also be seen in different colors.
- Postprocessor – Once the machining cycle is accepted the program can automatically generate an NC program to suit the user's machine or CNC system. Besides the long list of available Posts available and willingness of Sprut Technology to develop Posts to the user's requirements and request, it is also possible for the user to generate new posts or modify existing ones by using the inbuilt <Postprocessors generator>.
With the powerful SprutCAM system the user can confidently undertake fast machining of very accurate parts, be they very complex 3D models, or simple engraving or pocketing, and in any material. Typically it can be used to machine punches, spark erosion electrodes, plastic moulding, machine parts, decorative elements, nameplates etc. Because it is truly Windows based and very easy and intuitive to use, you will be up and running with minutes of installing the software, and we encourage you to follow the supplied tutorials which teach you and demonstrate how easy it is to use the system.
System installation and launch